A recent Wall Street Journal article, by Joann S. Lublin, raised the question: “What won’t you do for a Job?” Which got me thinking about what are those things I wouldn’t do for a job. First, I had to set some parameters around the question:
2. Also, I can’t go to prison for what I would do – I’m short and soft – meaning, I’m fairly certain I would end up someone’s wife in prison.
With the parameters set the question really set me free to think about what I wouldn’t do for the “perfect” career opportunity. So, I’ll give you the short list:
- I won’t kill anyone in my immediate family (wife and 3 sons) – everyone else is open season.
- (probably goes back to the prison thing – I’m soft, plus my grandma would hate it).
- I won’t eat bugs or cauliflower (yes, I consider them the same food group).
- I won’t work for free – everyone has a price and mine is above “Free”
- I won’t stay past 5pm (or any other arbitrary time) just because my boss stays past 5pm because he doesn’t have a life and thinks everyone should stay past 5 or their not dedicated or hard working.
- I won’t allow my opinions to be squelched by the man! (oh wait, yes I will, but it will cost them!)
7. I won’t allow myself to be chased around my desk and sexually harassed by my attractive, much younger, opposite sex, boss (ok, I might, but only if my benefits pay for divorce).
So, what won’t you do for a job? Send me a comment and let me know…