SOCIAL MEDIA REFERENCE CHECK FRIDAY – Girl Jumps Off Swing…

swings

My digital friend Frank Roche has a great series going on over at KnowHR (go there and subscribe now if you’re not already following) – it’s called Bad HR Stock Photo of the Week.  Go check out this week’s version, it’s a great primer for how many HR vendors and HR departments use photos that are too perfect and basically just beg you and me to be the cynical folks we’ve turned into.

The series inspired us to do something at FOT. What’s Social Media Reference Check Friday?  We show you a video, picture, text or audio file that might come across your desk as a hiring manager, you respond in an anonymous fashion and tell us whether the material might cause you to ensure the person in question never gets hired at your company.

We know.  You can’t do that.  You shouldn’t do that. You know most of you still do.  Save it for the judge, Billy.

First up – someone forwards you the video of this accounting candidate jumping off this swing.

Vote in the comments.  Move forward with her as a finalist or not based on this video?  Don’t put your name down, please.  PS – before you get too high and mighty back to me in the comments, think about this – your managers see the same stuff related to candidates without you knowing about it.  Hmmm

(hat tip to tosh.0 for the clip, but I can’t use his segment due to the NSFW nature of his show and general crazy remarks. FOT is not responsible for YouTube comments, titling, etc.)

We’re here to make you think. Have a great weekend.  Maybe go to the park, take the kids to the playground?  (email subscribers – click through for video)

Kris Dunn
 Kris Dunn is Chief Human Resources Officer at Kinetix and a blogger at The HR Capitalist and the Founder and Executive Editor of Fistful of Talent. That makes him a career VP of HR, a blogger, a dad and a hoops junkie, the order of which changes based on his mood. Tweet him @kris_dunn. Oh, and in case you hadn't heard the good word, he's also jumped into the RPO game as part owner of a rising shop out of ATL, Kinetix. Not your mama's recruiting process outsourcing, that's for sure... check 'em out.

1. NotNow says:

Tough to say. How old, what level, how did they do in the interview? I wouldn’t rule someone out just because they did something goofy and got it on YouTube. It’s not like they are doing something illegal or hurting someone else, right?

2. ??? says:

Level would definitely be the big question. If we’re looking for someone at the entry – mid levels, someone who will follow direction, maybe. This candidate is out to please, and is persuaded by her peers to push beyond her comfort zone.
    Do I want the hassel of potential health insurance costs related to head, neck and back injuries, not.

3. Sly Williams says:

If you screen out based on this, then it seems to me you are just looking for an excuse to say no to the candidate. I don’t really see anything in there that suggests really bad judgement. It sounds like she tried to tell the idiot behind her to stop pushing. Now if she gives you the idiot’s name as a reference…

4. Anon says:

I would not screen someone out because of this video no matter the level of the position the candidate was interviewing for.

5. J says:

It depends on the position. It appears as though she was preparing to jump out all along and simply misjudged the distance or the slope. So, if the position required some risk taking then why not. I vote move forward.

6. not me says:

Why would you rule someone out based on this video? What, exactly, is the problem/judgment lapse/crime/etc. that would cause this to be a deal breaker? Now, if she came to the interview dressed like that, or used that video as an example of a success of hers, that’s a different story. I just hope she’s OK.

7. Hired! says:

sign her up, today. that, my friends, is someone willing to take a risk and live life. If you’ve never tried something like this, you’ve lived too sheltered a life, and I don’t trust you.

8. chris says:

I think like risk lover (above). She looks for joy in life; yearning to fly. She did not execute well on this one. Hope she learned something. Would not use this as a disqualifier.

9. T-Smooth says:

I would hire because she likes to take risks. I would have her manager work on her detail orientation though. Had she prepped better, her hair weeve would not have fallen out when she was sliding on the ground. Just sayin.

10. Jenny says:

Shows some fun and spunk. Something that I would look for in our accounting function but it may not fly in another environment.

11. what if the screen is based out of here, so I feel just like you are looking for excuses to say no to a candidate. You do not really see anything there that suggests a bad sentence. Apparently he was trying to tell the idiot behind him to stop pushing. Now, given the silly name as reference.