When it comes to Social Media and Recruiting…Don’t Overthink It…Just Do It!

Logo-Board-Game2-499x300

We were over at a friend’s house Saturday night, playing a nifty board game called Logo.  It was Men vs. Women and all of us are, shall we say, hyper competitive.  It was on…and some of the clues to guessing the Logos of various brands were so insanely obvious it was ridiculous.  But after an hour, we were all over thinking our answers, mainly because some of the questions were incredibly easy and some of them were at the least challenging if not completely foreign to us.

And that bogged the game down, at least for a bit.  We all started over-analyzing and reconsidering our answers.  My teammate and I started looking at each other and instead of trusting out gut, debated out options.  It was the beginning of the end.

Right now I’ve just begun a spring tour visiting local HR groups and discussing recruiting on Social Media.  My perspective is slightly different now that I’ve spent the last 18 months entrenched in finding people for our clients at Staffing Advisors, and I truly enjoy chatting about all the possibilities Social Media holds for us as recruiting professionals for locating high quality candidates.

But I realized that a lot of what has prevented many, and I do mean many, HR and recruiting professionals from grabbing a seat at the Social Media table is overthinking what to do at the table.  What kind of profile do I post? Do I use my account or make a corporate account? Do I post a picture? What kind of picture? Should I look at pictures? Can I hide them? What do I talk about? Who do I talk to? When do I do it? Who should I connect to? Should I use tools? What is authentic engagement? Who’s listening to me? Can they find me? Am I hurting or helping my employer? And on and on and on.

All of this hamstrings the process.  If you look at the people who have been doing this for years, since 2008 or earlier, it’s been a leap of faith.  They have created profiles and constantly retweaked to make them the workhorses they are now.  You’ll find a rhythm to the pattern and job postings that are attractive to your followers.  You need to realize there are periods of failure and success.

I had someone write to me on Google+ last week that she  “would question the credibility and competence of any HR or recruiting professional who isn’t currently or hasn’t been using LinkedIn all along in their talent mining efforts.”  Ouch. I don’t know if I agree, I hope every discussion I have with HR and recruiting professionals who aren’t currently using Linkedin or Facebook or the flavor of the month to find talent helps them to take the critical step forward and participate.  Instead of hemming and hawing themselves into a corner of inaction.  There’s room for everyone at this table.

Kelly Dingee
Kelly Dingee is a Strategic Recruiting Manager for Staffing Advisors. She has extensive sourcing experience having worked for AIRS, as a Sourcing Researcher/Technical Writer, performed contract sourcing for Thales Communications, Inc., and got hers start in the profession while a full life cycle recruiter at Acterna (now known as JDSU).  Lucky for Kelly, she had a boss who could see the potential of sourcing candidates from the web, and in 1998, she stepped into a newly created sourcing role. No truth to the rumor that she has a side business to help you push your resume to the top of Google search results...

1. Tim Sackett says:

Amen! Love the post Kelly!

2. Steve Boese says:

Agree – spot on Kelly. And who won the Logo game in the end?

• kelly dingee says:

We women lost……those guys got all hyper specific on us….the question that killed us?

“What does the Lucky Charms Leprechaun say people are always after?”

We debated “me lucky charms” and “my lucky charms” – my Irish ancestors are probably rolling over that we didn’t say “me lucky charms” as a final answer.

3. James says:

So you lost because you “over-thought it”?

4. Point well taken, Kelly. I’m sharing this post with my Carney colleagues.
    (Say hi to Aileen and Bob for me.)

5. Katie says:

I enjoyed this article. I completely agree. I also think a lot of HR folks get tripped up on worrying if using social media can have legal implications. I know those were some of my biggest obstacles with getting approved to use certain sites (LinkedIn included). There are so many people out there who STILL haven’t warmed to social media and recruiting but I believe they’ll come around!

6. Suzy Tonini says:

Nice post Kelly!!! Hear, hear to the early adopters who took that leap of faith, as you say. :)

I sometimes get frustrated reading some articles that over-analyze the type of picture, tone, style, content etc that candidates and HR should use- and yes it’s mostly about legal issues, but trust your gut and be yourself every once in a while! Geez already.

• kelly dingee says:

Thanks Suzy! Every time I stand up in front of a SHRM chapter to talk about Social Media I have to mention how scary the template SHRM has on its website is…common language and common sense usually rings through to most employees…..

7. As always spot on Kelly! Last week I presented to a “Beltway Bandit” on using social media for security cleared recruiting. My presentation followed the presentation given by the Security Officer. I basically asked the crowd did they really want to hear me speak after being “warned” of all the dangers.
    A challenge I am seeing with those who want to use social media is that they are using the aggregation and application tools before even understanding the basics. I believe that so many companies realize that they are behind the bandwagon or that their recruiting teams will “waste a lot of time” that they purchase tools to monitor and manage. Guess what? No one is using those tools either! And if they are they are so badly integrated with their social media efforts that it looks like spam rather than a conversation.
    I agree don’t over think it, but at least think it first once.

8. Charles says:

Hi Kelly, the only problem with social media is that you need to do it all the time to get real results. A lot of recruitment companies don’t have ‘teams’ of people to invest in social just yet. So, while it’s important to be on LinkedIn, not having a busy group is just as bad as not being there at all! – Charles

9. Jemma Taylor says:

Thanks for sharing! My prediction is that users will tire of the endless noise and start to demand a higher value exchange for their data and audience. It will be a great year to watch your article!

1. When it comes to Social Media and Recruiting…Don’t Overthink It…Just Do It! « Serve4Impact
  2. 5 Best Recruitment Marketing Articles of the Week 3.10.12 to 3.16.12 « SmashFly Recruitment Marketing Technology Blog
  3. Jumping Into Social Recruiting With Both Feet | TweetMyJobs Blog
  4. Social HR and The Big 3: Do You Want Some Milk With That Too? | Fistful of Talent
  5. Social HR and The Big 3: Do You Want Some Milk With That Too? | HRstream.se
  6. Social HR and The Big 3: Do You Want Some Milk With That Too? | HR Hound
  7. Social HR and The Big 3: Do You Want Some Milk With That Too? « RecruitersNation