Seriously – Do job postings and other marketing elements even matter to the response you get to your open jobs?
I suspect the world falls into three camps:
-They absolutely matter. Doing a better job marketing open jobs should be a priority.
-They don’t matter. People try and get too cute and all people want is for you to hit them with the info you need.
-I think they matter, but I don’t have the time. Wish I had a team that could help me do a better job marketing our culture and specific open jobs.
What about you? Does doing custom marketing work for your culture or on individual jobs matter to you? My view has morphed a bit in this area, as I’m a sucker for a big culture video like the one below from AirBNB. Take a look and then let’s talk after the jump:
So – I love big videos like that, but most companies simply can’t do it. But I think there’s a festivus for the rest of us, so that’s why we’re doing a FOT Webinar this Wednesday called, “ FOT webinar, That’s Your Pitch? How to Raise Your Social Recruiting Game By Acting Less Like ACME and More Like Apple, where we’ll explore the following areas:
- The Top 5 Traits of Successful Marketers and Advertisers that recruiters should use to raise their promotional game.
- How to Prevent Your Job Postings from Being Lame.
- How Cool Companies are Experimenting with Elements Beyond Text.
- We’ll play a game we like to call, “That’s Your Freaking Pitch?” – where we peel back the cover and take a hard look at traditional messaging that flows through your recruiting function today after the job posting goes out – including ATS messaging, live call recruiter scripts and more. We’ll highlight the average vs. the outstanding and let you decide what to do next.
- A Plan to Customize Your Social Distribution Message Across the Big 3 (LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook). You know the same message doesn’t work across all social channels, but you’re not sure how to customize your approach to each. Never fear – FOT will be bringing in Michael Center (fromiCIMS) to outline key messaging structure to be used for each social channel to develop deeper connections and foster candidate engagement.
The key takeaways we’re driving for with this webinar are 1) what can you do that’s custom that gives you a competitive advantage from a recruiting perspective (?), but 2) won’t take you an hour per open job.
Join us on Wednesday and we’ll try to find the happy medium. We’re going to be covering some of our favorite companies that we think have found the sweet spot (like Woot!), and I’ll have my Marketing Manager and editor of FOT with me (Holland Dombeck) since she does a LOT of this work on a daily basis. We’re going to put her on the spot!
8.22.12 l 1pm ET l 12pm CT l 10am PT