FAIL: Facebook’s Social Jobs Partnership

dislike jobs app

So I see the news about Facebook’s new Social Jobs Partnership and I am excited, I’ve just spent the morning listening to Gerry Crispin talk about the Candidate Experience Awards and I’m thinking this will just round out my day.  This has got to be good…right?  Let’s watch the great FB turn recruiting on it’s ear….change up social media….create the dawn of a new day…help employers improve the candidate experience from the moment they decide to look for a job…it’s gonna rock, right?

No. It’s Not.

Let me be clear, it sucks. Want me to be more clear?

FAIL #1 – Link your billion plus member social network with the phrase “job board”.  This makes me cringe.  You should’ve called Sackett, he could’ve hooked you up..

FAIL #2 – Get PR to announce that there are over a million job listings.  And the math bothers me here – a billion members and only a million job listings?!

FAIL #3 – 5 “apps” feed into this job board – where we’re just reviewing postings…US.jobs, Jobvite, Monster, BranchOut and Work4Labs.  When I search for “accounting” and “a/p” I get results from just one – US.jobs and there’s a measly 24 jobs for the area I test, Germantown, MD.  And most of those jobs are not really even close to Germantown.  The others yield nothing…nada…zip… for  Germantown, MD.  But Indeed.com, it has 117.

FAIL #4 – These jobs are aged.  Who the hell knows how long they’ve been in these apps.

FAIL #5 – Apparently this is just a job board.  Wow.  That’s so 2000.  It crushes me.  I expected more from Facebook.  Where’s the networking? The engagement?  Why can’t I see who in my network works at a company I want to apply to? Oh I know – I can – if I’m in the right app…but not if I’m in US.jobs.  Why…why…why did Facebook not look at LinkedIn and say how can we make Social Jobs Partnership the bionic job networking wunderkind?

As I read the write-ups on sites like Forbes I get the distinct impression, that Facebook, located in Silicon Valley, the mecca for the techiest of tech recruiters didn’t consult with Recruiters. Or Sourcers.  Or maybe…and here’s a stretch…jobseekers.   San Jose…the holy land for the super sourcers that dive in and out of social media sites, and other online repositories all day…well Facebook decided to disregard that and took advice from app developers and US.jobs.  Why the heck wouldn’t you get feedback from recruiters…you’ve got the best and brightest in your back yard.  Y’all can build more than an aggregator, I’m sure of it.

Conceptually Facebook is relying on its name.  That jobseekers will flock to it because, well, it’s Facebook.  But this is ridiculous.  No recruiter in their right mind would suggest a jobseeker look on Facebook’s Social Jobs Partnership first (and let me share with you  Facebook, we get asked, hourly, where to look), it’s not robust, fresh or engaging!  Why would anyone spend time there? Why?!

Kelly Dingee
Kelly Dingee is a Strategic Recruiting Manager for Staffing Advisors. She has extensive sourcing experience having worked for AIRS, as a Sourcing Researcher/Technical Writer, performed contract sourcing for Thales Communications, Inc., and got hers start in the profession while a full life cycle recruiter at Acterna (now known as JDSU).  Lucky for Kelly, she had a boss who could see the potential of sourcing candidates from the web, and in 1998, she stepped into a newly created sourcing role. No truth to the rumor that she has a side business to help you push your resume to the top of Google search results...

1. Joel Kimball says:

So….you liked it, then. :) What a disaster.

I’m sure the people who use this new “feature” from FB will be the same suckers…er…people…who bought stock the day it was offered.

2. Lauren Smith says:

Excellent post. I whole wholeheartedly agree with you. LinkedIn is still the right choice and the most credible. If job seekers really want to be found on social media by potential employers they need to successfully leverage their social networks, as is pointed out in Lisa Anderson’s book, Leverage Social Networks to Drive Business Results. http://www.lma-consultinggroup.com/

3. CJ Reuter says:

Kelly, I think the background on this site needs to be taken into perspective when writing a review of the new Social Job Partnership site on Facebook. It has bugs and is far from perfect – this is where we agree. Assuming it is the final product and it was created to challenge existing on-line recruiting sources is where we do not agree. This is simply the next phase of of Facebook’s partnership with DOL, NACE, etc. and an effort to provide an search avenue for jobseekers to find openings from sources that have worked and developed pages and functionality with Facebook. Aside from the USjobs site which is more federal than social – it represents a better social experience than traditional job sites and it is already an improvement over nothing (which is what was in place before).

4. Kelly says:

Hang on CJ….

Take a good look at the US.jobs site – check the bottom of it and then tell me how affiliated it is with the D.O.L. Other than the DOL chiming in saying this is a great idea and sitting in on some meetings. Because I’m on their website now and I don’t see a single link or reference. I don’t see anything directing the out of work American to the SJP. But I do see a strong affiliation with the Direct Employers Association.

Back in the day (pre-2007), America’s Job Bank was the (free) job board affiliated with the DOL. (And I verified the completely free aspect of AJB with the 2003 edition of CareerXRoads I have sitting on my bookshelf). I used it when I was a corporate sourcer, every job we had was posted on the site before it went anywhere else. And to be honest, AJB was even more robust than what Facebook and Friends have pulled together with this mish-mash of apps. The jobs are not a good representation of what’s out there, it’s weak. Hell it’s weaker than weak. Run the same job search on SJP and then on Indeed or SimplyHired and hands down those aggregator sites will win.

The thing of it is, if you really want to appeal to the Facebook clientele, there should be a social aspect. Give me a briefcase icon, or SJP icon or something at the top of every page. Make it easy….I click on SJP and I’m lead to the search interface and the right hand side is a listing of jobs available in my area. Maybe I search for IBM and not only a listing of jobs with IBM as a keyword but their Facebook Jobs page floats into the right side of my screen. Maybe there’s a tie in to who I know in my network that works there (which Indeed.com has done for years), maybe something else. While these participating apps have some of that functionality, why for the love of all things recruting would you make a jobseeker paw through 5 different apps to find this info out? It should be ridiculously easy and functional – one stop shopping. That’s the bar I’ve set. That’s what I want to see. Job Posts are cool, but if they’re truly part of the DOL and not a monetization gimmick than they should be free – every employer should have the ability to post. And like AJB from the days of old, potential jobseekers should be able to load links to resumes or enter a real resume for consideration.

And I call BS on this is just a first round. Facebook should know better, and do better before they slap their name on a product like this. Even if it’s a “partnership”. They are the lead dog in this partnership. I won’t accept it. And the reality is, Facebook could so so much better and still make money by selling keyword advertising, and ads at the top or bottom of a page …and a whole slew of other things to make the site pay for itself and truly a LinkedIn toppler. There will be companies and recruiters that will pay for those advantages and others that will wholly enjoy the free posts.

But they are so not there.

5. Jemma Taylor says:

This was a first attempt by Facebook, but a lame first attempt. Facebook will really have to up their game to compete with LinkedIn, based on their first efforts. Thanks for sharing !!

6. job boards are increasing the length of un-employment