The Most Important Part of HR is Payroll

payroll human resources fistful of talent

The most important part of Human Resources isn’t talent management or talent acquisition. It doesn’t matter if you hire for culture or competency. And nobody cares about your learning management systems or your diversity and inclusion programs.

The most important part of Human Resources is your payroll department.

• Do you pay people on time?
  • Do you have an accurate time and attendance solution that is integrated into your payroll process?
  • Are taxes and miscellaneous deductions handled properly?
  • When there are errors, can you fix it quickly?

Lots of people belittle the administrative nature of Human Resources; however, the flawless delivery of personnel-related services is noble. It’s important. And it is what sets you free to do other cool stuff. You can’t be trusted with complex issues like engagement and culture if you can’t get the paychecks right.

I have one other HR secret for you: the operational and administrative aspects of Human Resources have a bigger impact on the balance sheet than your wellness program and employer branding initiative. You won’t be a credible company who can attract and retain talented people if you can’t pay them.

I don’t know about you, but I am ready for HR professionals to stop apologizing for being¬†administrators¬†and start chanting, “We’re here! We do payroll! Get used to it!”

I’ll get the clapboards and the picket signs.

Laurie Ruettimann
Laurie Ruettimann is a former HR leader and an influential speaker, writer and social media expert in the Human Capital Management industry. She is also a career advisor and her work has appeared in many mainstream print publications and major news media outlets. Laurie blogs at The Cynical Girl and you can find her on twitter at @Lruettimann.

1. Craig Bryant says:

I couldn’t agree more. Of all the places I’ve experienced HR first hand, it’s low-hanging fruit like payroll which companies screw up the most. And most companies do screw it up. It sucks the life out of a new hire’s experience, and bodes ill for the more aspirational efforts in HR at a company. It’s administrative work, you got that right, and completely noble and necessary. One observation I’ve made over the years is that, while the mechanics of these processes are often lacking in quality, it’s the communication breakdown which puts the biggest hurt on HR. That’s one of the things we’re trying to help small companies out with here at Kin. Linking administrative elements of HR up with an efficient channel of communication between HR and the employees themselves. Thanks for the read :)

• Laurie Ruettimann
      Laurie Ruettimann says:

I think you’re right about the communication breakdown. Thanks for the comment!

2. Rory Trotter says:

Interesting thoughts, Laurie.

My personal take on payroll is that – as you said – it’s enormously value added, but I have no interest in doing it. HR as the function can tackle payroll if it chooses – I want to work on the strategic (visible) stuff.

With that said, I view the world though comp tinted lenses (people are paid for what they know, what they do with what they know, and what the first two things impact). As such, span of control, job scope, visibility and complexity are what I look for in my roles (which is how you raise your compensation).

Again though, I agree with you that the administrative/transactional stuff matters and needs to be done (and I have an enormous amount of respect for the HR pros who do it well).

Thanks for sharing (and as always keep writing).

Best,

Rory

3. Ed says:

Laurie, generally love and agree with most your posts. But this one, you’re joking right? That’s like saying that an offensive tackle is the most important position on an NFL roster. Blocking, that’s the real value. If he doesn’t block that blitzing linebacker then nothing else matters. While that might be generally true, the difference makers in football games aren’t offensive tackles … they are QBs, running backs and wide receivers. In our HR worlds Payroll is the 300 pound behemoth of a tackle. Impressive, but not even close to the most important. Insteady, it’s Talent Acquisition in my opinion. Hiring a rainmaker is the equivalent of 40 yard TD pass that fills each of the 80k seats in NFL stadiums all across the land. It’s not the pancake block that set it all up.

4. Fred says:

Many companies have decided that Payroll is not a part of HR at all, so they avoid the discussion if it is more important to get people paid or to recruit, deploy and develop them. Look, who the payroll departments report to nowadays. It’s operations, business service lines etc. Not just a few companies have even outsourced this “most important” topic to the cheapest available provider.

• Steve in PA says:

Being part of HR in a large academic medical center in PA, Payroll is not a part of HR. I could see how this debate could last for a while since there are many offices within HR holding importance.

5. I was recommended this website by my cousin. I’m nott sure whether this post is
    written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my difficulty.

You’re amazing! Thanks!

Feel free to surf to my webpage – Atlanta virtual offices

6. Look into their years of experience in managing small business
    accounts soo that you can get professional advice on various financial matters.
    A lot of people have smnall business ideas that they
    often fail tto put into practice either because they lack the
    money to make an investment or because tthe fear to lose
    everything. Clients do not look no matter whether you’ve a small or big budgeted communication service.

my web blog – Virtual offices delaware

7. Beep.Com says:

Tax law about businesses in the USA is ever changing.
    If, on the other hand, you are not successful in paying
    your loans back, you are going to devvelop “bad credit. For clients, you can target neighborhoods, communities or even companies.

Here is my webpage … Small Business Consulting (Beep.Com)

8. If you’re educated (or seeking an education) you will probably find a ton of opportunity
    in a small town. Platforms: Android, Blackberry, i – Phone, i –
    Pad, Windows Phone. Before you do this, examine the publiccation online to ensure that its
    website is user friendly.

My site -small Business Buudget template; makemoneyathomeresources14.beepworld.de,

9. The following are the benefits that you have to be aware oof the most.

You can know all the ins and outs oof business and ccan run a restaurant wiithout fail;
    but would you know thhe first thing about installing the kitchen grills.
    Clients do not look no matter whether you’ve a small oor big budgeted communication service.

Review my page: small business data breach statistics

10. Yet, there are grants that are made for equipment and training.
    Platforms: Android, Blackberry, i – Phone, i – Pad,
    Windows Phone. Two: Increase in income – When you are aboe to increase your traffic tto the business, you will
    easily be able to also increase your income.

My blog; small business act

11. The following are the benefits that you have to be aware
    of the most. If, on the other hand, you are not successful in paying your loans back, you are going to
    develop “bad credit. What you give away doesn’t have to be costly, but it must be valuable.

12. Barb says:

Then send the postcard to all of the addresses in your area, and try to draw customers in.
    As with everything else, it is only the mindset of the entrepreneur that dictates the success
    and failure of a company. For clients, you can target neighborhoods, communities or even companies.

1. Start from the basics: make your Payroll Work | Sergio G. Caredda