1. ToddR says:

Is there a significant difference in the expectation of privacy of going out in public, such as a trip to a local grocery store, and having a viewable profile page on Linked-In? Additionally, it’s free. And, if an internet service is free, it means you’re part of the product that they’re ultimately selling to someone else. If I’m a Linked-In investor, I’m not going to be too happy with this idea. May I offer up a few suggestions? 1) If there is someone out there trying to find you, they will eventually find you. If that person happens to want to do bad things to you, be vigilant. 2) If you don’t want to be found (very easily), don’t participate in endeavors that, by their nature, improve your “findability.” 3) Include the phrase, “World class tactical rifle/pistol competitor” somewhere on your profile.

2. Kelly,
    great article – I know there’s trolls all over LinkedIn, there should be some sort of virtual protection without sacrificing the “good” part of LinkedIn’s networking capabilities. I also think any guy minimizing this is blowing smoke out of his arse, we just can’t relate to the feeling of being stalked. Stay gold…

3. Kris Dunn
    Kris Dunn says:

Hi Kelly –

I like the fact you do a deep dive on issues like this. One thing I saw a while back was the following – if you’re participating in a site and you’re wondering how the site makes money – look no further – they make money by marketing you. Free=lack of control without question. Doesn’t mean that’s right, but it’s the reality.

When 13% of people find me through the word “sexy”, you know LinkedIn has grown to the point that the creeps are moving in -http://www.hrcapitalist.com/2013/03/im-digging-how-people-find-me-on-linkedin-the-keyword-rhymes-with-lexy.html.

I do think a blocking feature – only on individuals you don’t want to view your profile – makes sense.

KD

4. I think that cyberstalking is the brightest example of the ugly side of globalization. Social networks which were supposed to make our lives easier and more pleasant now constitute a threat to our privacy and safety, because in the anonymous world of the internet we never exactly know whether the person we’re talking to online is real or fake. S/he could live in another state or sitting two cubicles away from us. Therefore securing our social networks’ profiles has become a must rather than an option.

5. Stalked Linkedin says:

I was stalked for 2 years on Linkedin to the point that I was told to change my settings, remove my photo in order to maintain the quality connections I amassed since 2005. The person who was stalking me eventually showed up at my door and police had to be called. This person did not feel they were stalking and the TRO’s and subpoenas would be at my cost. To this day linkedin refuses to add a blocking feature. This is an incredibly dangerous website and anyone can copy your information and repost anywhere on the internet. I did not know this person was reposting until I got into a interview and was stunned! I have heard other stories where people with common names then copied profiles to the letter and went on interviews posing as the other person with the same name. Linkedin is dangerous and enjoys this activity as thousands have complained to them over this anonymous viewer feature. Spread the word that Linkedin opposes blocking features and enables stalking.

6. I was shocked to read this and learn that linkedin has no block button! As someone who has experienced this creepy behaviour on twitter, it disturbs me to see that I don’t have even the minor recourse of blocking that twitter offers when I’m using linkedin. Having to lock down your profile to everyone isn’t a good solution on linkedin’s end. They need to add a block button.