FOT Trades Tim Sackett to Detroit SHRM for 2 Chapter Members To Be Named Later

sackett

PRESS RELEASE
ATLANTA, GA
FEBRUARY 18, 11:58AM ET

Fistful of Talent, a premiere site offering news, thought and opinion in the world of talent management and talent acquisition, has announced the trade of longtime FOT contributor Tim Sackett in conjunction with the NBA Trade Deadline.

Sackett will be traded (pending physical) to Detroit SHRM for 2 new members joining the local chapter in 2017.  Those new members are unknown at this time, but Fistful of Talent will finalize the trade by selecting two new writers from the roster of new members joining Detroit SHRM in 2017.

“It’s never easy to make the call to trade someone who’s meant so much to the franchise,” said Kris Dunn, founder and majority owner of Fistful of Talent, “but I’m responsible for looking to the future in addition to maximizing the present. Today’s world is about maximizing assets, streamlining payroll and putting yourself in a position to get better. Sure, we have no idea who’s joining Detroit SHRM in 2017, but we’re sure to get value in return for this trade. And let’s face it, the whole deal had become too much about Tim Sackett. More webinars, a video show featuring Tim, questions about why he couldn’t be FOT02, getting badges at conferences that said he was the President of FOT. If you hash-tagged all that, it would be #distraction.”

“We wish Tim the best as he builds the Detroit SHRM chapter blog on behalf of that great city.”

When reached for comment, Sackett provided the following quote:

“It’s time. I’ve won my championships. I’ve gotten paid. It’s classic Kobe and Phil. Dunn needs to coach kids; that’s what he’s good at. I’m not saying I’m uncoachable, I just don’t need to be coached. I had a good run at FOT and want to thank JLee, The Kid Dombeck and Cara for all the great editing over the years—they’re the real talent of the operation.”

Fistful of Talent was founded in January 2008.  Sackett joined FOT in April 2008.

For questions or further comment, please contact FOT Editor Cara Lucas.

Kris Dunn
 Kris Dunn is Chief Human Resources Officer at Kinetix and a blogger at The HR Capitalist and the Founder and Executive Editor of Fistful of Talent. That makes him a career VP of HR, a blogger, a dad and a hoops junkie, the order of which changes based on his mood. Tweet him @kris_dunn. Oh, and in case you hadn't heard the good word, he's also jumped into the RPO game as part owner of a rising shop out of ATL, Kinetix. Not your mama's recruiting process outsourcing, that's for sure... check 'em out.

1. Steve Boese says:

I recommend we stash at least one of the SHRM Detroit rookies in SHRM Belgrade or SHRM Zagreb for a year or two of seasoning before bringing them over to FOT.

2. Matt Sims says:

I’m member of Detroit SHRM. My sources tell me he will be released immediately. He will get a shot in the D League (Lansing SHRM chapter).

3. KD says:

Matt –

I hate that for Tim, but he’s Detroit SHRM property now.

“Things always happen for a reason” is how I’ll coach Tim if that happens. If he ever calls me again…

KD

4. Dan Cross says:

Even without cash considerations for Sackett’s monster contract, it looks like Detroit SHRM got the better deal in this trade..

However, FOT should get some solid talent for the long run here even though I’m typically a fan of waiting for the draft. There’s some up-and-comers from the UNC, Kentucky, and Cornell SHRM Student Chapters this year.

5. KD says:

Dan-

Additionally, FOT could have shipped Tim to any number of remote outposts for the same future asset stacking. We decided to allow him to go home. After the burn fades, we hope he’ll realize we did him a solid.

Thanks _ KD

6. Modd says:

Absolutely shocked by this decision… but if we’re really being honest Tims best days are behind him. It’s been all down hill since “The Rules About Hugging are Work”. FOT is making a strategic move that at the end of the day makes their business stronger. It’s a financially responsible move and the 2017 DSHRM class looks strong with the HR pipeline in Southeastern Michigan.

Matt Simms is right, Tim won’t fit the culture of DSHRM and will be shipped off to Lansing where ultimately it will be as sad as Jordan with the Wizards. Hope Tim will recognize it’s time to hang it up after the hall of fame career he’s had. There’s only a handful of greats and Tim is on the mount Rushmore of bloggers #SackettDunn2016

7. R. J. Morris says:

Some of the folks in the FOT locker room have been waiting for this to come. Seems like a decision made for the greater good. Congratulations to Management (KD) for having the guts to make a value decision here. Side benefit–Boese and I will move up in the contributor tenure list.

• Well apart from Kris and Jessica, Tim is the next person I know at FOT. Guess I really enjoyed his posts. Talks about being FOT02 were quiet unnecessary though. Hope he enjoys his time at SHRM, and if he continues to produce great content, I’d continue reading them.

• KD says:

RJ –

it was the little things – like hording certain portions of the catering in the locker room, etc.

Entitlement is a scary thing…

KD