Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to version 4.0 of the Fistful of Talent/HR Capitalist Talent Management Blog Power Rankings. If you remember (or maybe you don’t want to…), the last go-round, we played off the March Madness theme and pitted talent management bloggers against one another. This time around, we decided to throw back to the original power rankings process. We looked at 130 talent, HR and recruiting related blogs and compiled our own list of the very, very best blogs. Check out the original poll methodology here (but note we looked at more blogs this time around and the lineup of folks ranking the blogs has changed slightly).
As with rankings we’ve done in the past, the pollsters selflessly gave up the right to have their blogs considered for ranking since here at FOT, we believe in free and fair elections. We’re not beyond giving our own folks link love though, so check out our blogs or sites of this round’s pollsters: Jessica Lee, Tim Sackett, Maren Hogan, Kelly Dingee, Jennifer McClure, Josh Letourneau, Paul Hebert and Kris Dunn.
And with that, here are our top 25 which we believe represent the best of the talent/recruiting/HR/human capital blogs (and welcome to those new to this particular round of the top 25, italicized!):
Ranking/Blog Name (Power Rating, Last Poll Ranking)
1. cheezhead™ (Power Index Rating – 96 | 1st Place Votes – 1 | v. 2.0 ranking – #1)
2. Your HR Guy (Power Index Rating – 72 | 1st Place Votes – 2 | v. 2.0 ranking #6)
3. HR Bartender (Power Index Rating – 68 | 1st Place Votes – 1 | v. 2.0 ranking – #17)
4. Compensation Force (Power Index Rating – 66 | 1st Place Votes – 1 | v. 2.0 ranking – #4)
5. Seth Godin (Power Index Rating – 57 | v. 2.0 ranking – #20)
6. Punk Rock HR (power index rating – 51 | 1st place votes – 1 | v. 2.0 ranking – tied #22)
7. Renegade HR (power index rating – 49 | v. 2.0 ranking – N/A)
8. TalentedApps (power index rating – 48 | v. 2.0 ranking – #24 + v. 4.0 winner!)
9. The Recruiter Guy (power index rating – 47 | 1st Place Votes – 1 | v. 2.0 ranking – #2)
10. All Things Workplace (power index rating – 45 | v. 2.0 ranking – #8)
11. The Business of Management (power index rating – 44 | v. 2.0 ranking – #21)
12. e-Recruitment/Social Workplace Blog (power index rating – 41 | v. 2.0 ranking – N/A)
13. Jon Ingham’s Strategic HCM (power index rating – 37 | v. 2.0 ranking – N/A)
Personal Branding Blog – Dan Schawbel (power index rating – 37 | v. 2.0 ranking – #5)
15. HR Thoughts (power index rating – 37 | v. 2.0 ranking – N/A)
Know HR (power index rating – 37 | v. 2.0 ranking – N/A)
HR Observations (power index rating – 37 | v. 2.0 ranking – N/A)
Freakonomics (power index rating – 37 | 1st Place Votes – 1 | v. 2.0 ranking – N/A)
19. Jim Stroud’s The Recruiters Lounge (power index rating – 30 | v. 2.0 ranking – #3)
20. Bob Sutton – The Working Life (power index rating – 37 | v. 2.0 ranking – N/A)
21. Fortify Your Oasis (power index rating – 37 | v. 2.0 ranking – N/A)
22. Great Leadership (power index rating – 34 | v. 2.0 ranking – #10)
23. Gladwell.com (power index rating – 37 | v. 2.0 ranking – N/A)
24. Brazen Careerist (power index rating – 37 | v. 2.0 ranking – N/A)
25. John Sumser’s Two Color Hat (power index rating – 37 | v. 2.0 ranking – N/A)
Falling out of the top 25 from version 2.0 of the rankings but still receiving votes were Employee Evolution, Learn @ Trizle, TalentMash by Kristin Gissarro, Andy Headworth’s Sirona Says, HRmarketer.com, Evil HR Lady, Marketing Headhunter.com, JibberJobber Blog, TalentedApps, Social Media Headhunter.
And also receiving votes but not quite enough to hack it in our top 25: Human Race Horses, JPIE: Human Capital Vendor Space, Wellness.com, Suits In The Work Place, Employee Factor, Amybeth Hale – Research Goddess, The Human Capitalist, Corporate Recruiting Diva, Gary Hamel’s Management 2.0, People Signals, Michael Specht, The Red Recruiter, Three Star Leadership Blog, Ask a Manager, Pseudo HR, Winning the Talent War, Workstream, Inc., Kevin Wheeler’s Over the Seas, Marketing Headhunter.com, Success Common Sense, Execupundit, How We Work, Jobertalk, Frontline Leadership, Louise’s UK Recruiter Blog, The Contented Cow Blog, Blog Maverick, Workforce Insights, Free Exchange, HR Gumbo, HR Heroes, Human Markets, Boolean Blackbelt, Find + Attract, Everyone Hates HR, People Shark, Recruiting Fly Blog, Workforce Institute, Upstart HR, Vendorprisey, Ben Stein’s How Not to Ruin Your Life, Tom Peters! Blog, Intellectual Capital Consulting, Success Factors, Workers Comp Insider, Productivity Blog, Recruiter’s Perspective, Good to Know, systematicHR.
So, what do you think? Did our voting do the talent management blogging community justice? Do you agree with the top 25? And will anyone ever take Cheezhead out of that number one spot? It’s impressive company to be in, that’s for sure… and we are humbled by your blogging awesomeness.
Until next time, folks…
Jessica Lee is a VP of TA at Marriott International where she leads a team that enables the company to think big, broad and boldly about all things talent acquisition and in effect, keeps them relevant and ahead of the curve in how they attract and acquire top talent. Don’t be fooled by that fancy pants title and description though, she’s still an everyday HR gal in the trenches at the core. SPHR certified, a decade and a half into trench HR life… she can whip up a corrective action plan or source for your purple squirrel in a heartbeat.
Talk to Jessica via Email, LinkedIn, Twitter or Facebook…