OK, kids. Time for some fun. You should know by now from my bio I LOVE Caddyshack. Given it is the end of summer and the beginning of year-end craziness in HR land I thought our loyal FOT followers needed some humor. Plus, this post is scheduled to run on a Saturday…so I’m just gonna blow up some gophers with this one.
My premise is most all things said in the movie “Caddyshack” can be related back to the wacky world of HR. Here are some of my all time favorite quotes and the potential parallels to HR:
- Judge Smails – “How about a Fresca?” HR – “Nah, you’re not going to be laid off.”
- Ty Webb – “You don’t have to go to college. This isn’t Russia. Is this Russia? This isn’t Russia.” HR – “No, don’t worry… declining that international assignment won’t kill your career here.”
- Carl Spackler – “I’ve got to get into this guy’s pelt and crawl around for a few days.” HR – “You need to do three write-ups before you can fire him.”
- Ty Webb – “Thank you very little.” HR – “Please don’t come into my office at 5pm on a Friday.”
- Ty Webb – “Pool and a pond…Pond would be good for you.” HR – “We will absolutely keep you in mind for future openings.”
- Carl Spackler – “Show yourself you little varmint.” HR – “Damn it. Where did I put that review?!”
- Ty Webb – “People don’t say that about you as far as you know.” HR – “I’m sure your manager didn’t call you a dumb ass”
- Lou Loomis – “Your honor, your honor. ” HR – “Bite me.”
- Ty Webb – “Don’t worry about this one. You miss it, we lose.” HR – “You put RSUs in the administrative assistant’s offer letter?!! I’m sure it will be ok.”
- Carl Spackler – “So I got that goin’ for me, which is nice.” HR – “Yes, please tell me more about your ADA issues.”
- Spalding Smails – “Ahoy polloi…where did you come from a scotch ad?” HR – “Welcome to orientation!”
- Ty Webb – “Stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.” HR – “Suck it up and deal with it.”
- Ty Webb – “Remember Danny – two wrongs don’t make a right but three rights make a left.” HR – “Yeah. What the gal in comp said.”
- Carl Spackler – “In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, ‘Au revoir, gopher’.” HR – “You’re so outta here.”
Just some quotes to keep in mind the next time you want to hurl a Diet Coke at an employee complaining about the dress code…and remember, “IT’S IN THE HOLE!”
hrQ is a national HR search, Interim HR Staffing, and Human Capital Consulting firm. Your people equation. Simplified.
Kathy Rapp is the President of hrQ where she helps companies find groovy HR Talent for permanent or interim roles and has amassed a rockstar human capital consulting team doing work across the country. Prior to joining hrQ Kathy booked more than 15 years of diverse HR leadership experience working in F500s and start-up organizations. A connoisseur of the intersection between pop culture and business, Kathy believes many talent insights can be gleamed from the succession planning lessons experienced by Van Halen and AC/DC.