A person who makes slow progress and falls behind others: “I have no time for laggards”.
Slower than desired or expected.
noun. lagger – slowcoach
adjective. sluggish – lagger – slow – tardy
Turns out, you are either a laggard or you are not. That's life in the big city folks. Take this simple quiz to find out if you are indeed a laggard or not.
- Can applicants apply to open jobs at your company via mobile/tablet device? Yes or No
- Have you created visual job ads and posted to Pinterest? Yes or No
- Does your company pay for the data plans of all employees? Yes or No
- Do all employees have consistent brand language regarding your company in their LinkedIn profiles? Yes or No
- Can employees conduct performance reviews via mobile/tablet device? Yes or No
- Do you use Twitter to source job candidates? Yes or No
- Are company benefits easily accessible via mobile/tablet device? Yes or No
- Do you allow Facebook access at work? Yes or No
- Do you provide tablets to all employees? Yes or No
- Do you use Instagram to document the culture at your firm? Yes or No
All the answers are of course YES. Here's a key to find out your level of laggardness…
- 0-5 Correct answers – You're a dinosaur, please help us all out and get out of the HR profession. You might not even have a pulse.
- 6-8 Correct answers – We're not giving up on you but you are clearly a laggard. Get help.
- 9-10 Correct answers – Congrats you are NOT a laggard. Now, for the love of all that is holy, please go help your peers.
Here's the thing… social isn't going away. Get over it. Find a way to explore and/or become an expert using these new mediums. As an HR pro, your future career progression is related to your mastery of these mediums. 'Nuff said.
In terms of mobile… it is the new method of computing. The concept of touch… on all devices… and it is already here and will NOT slow down. Again, it isn't going away folks… get over it. The real question is… how will you master mobile?
So, are you a laggard?
William is the President of RecruitingDaily. At the intersection of HR and technology, he’s a writer, speaker, advisor, consultant, investor, storyteller & teacher. He’s written over 250 HR articles, spoken at over 375 HR & recruiting conferences and he’s conducted over 1350 HR podcasts & webinars. William prides himself on being easy to find on The Internets, Google him, and connect with him via Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
William serves on the Board of Advisors for Hire Wells, Worksense, Wedge, Optimal, Rolebot, Gustav, Humantic, TechScreen, altru, Brazen, Engagedly, Echovate, VibeCatch, Continu, Happie, Work4, and SmartRecruiters. He’s an active mentor with ATK LABS (Israel) and Talent Tech Labs (New York City). He was previously an advisor to Altru (sold to iCIMS Q4 2020), Hyphen (sold to Betterworks Q1 2020), Causecast (sold to America’s Charities Q3 2019), RolePoint (sold to Jobvite Q4 2018), PeopleMatter (sold to Snag Q2 2016), Good.co (sold to StepStone Q1 2016) Smarterer (sold to Pluralsight Q4 2014) and a board member of Talentegy (sold to Jobvite Q3 2020), Chequed (merged to create OutMatch Q3 2015).
William is a graduate of the University of Alabama of Birmingham with a BA in Art History. He also earned an MA in American Indian Studies from the University of Arizona and an MBA from Case Western Reserve University. William holds six distinct certifications: “Trustee Management & Development” from United Way Blueprint for Board Service, “Leadership Development” from Leadership Fort Worth, “Certificate in Nonprofit Management” from The Mandel Center for Nonprofit Organizations, “Trustee Management & Development” from Business Volunteers Unlimited, “SHRM – SCP Certification (Senior Certified Professional)” from SHRM and, “Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR)” from the HR Certification Institute.