Their are few truisms I know in HR.
1. As soon as you think you’ll never be surprised again by something dumb done by an employee – you’ll be surprised.
2. You’ll be asked every year in HR to reduce your budget.
3. Employees will always believe HR knows more than HR really does know.
4. HR vendors always say they’re giving you their ‘lowest’ price, until you say ‘no’, then a magical new lower price
will come up.
5. . Many employees who get fired were at one time really good employees.
The last one is one I really love! It is a simple fact of life that most people will at some point in their life be fired from a job.
Read the whole post over at The Tim Sackett Project (an FOT contributor blog).
If you Google “Tim Sackett” you’ll find our Tim, and a truck driver chaplain. Our Tim is NOT the truck driver chaplain, although how awesome would that be if he was!? He is a prolific writer in the HR and TA space who just happens to also run an Engineering and IT contract staffing agency (HRU Technical Resources) out of Michigan. He also writes every day at his own blog, the Tim Sackett Project. Weirdly, he’s known as an expert in workplace hugging, which was kind of cool years ago, but now seems painfully creepy, but we still love him and he’s fairly harmless. Tim is also on the board of the Association of Talent Acquisition Professionals (ATAP), lifetime Michigan State Spartan fan, husband to a Hall of Fame wife, 3 sons, and his best friend Scout. He also wrote a book with SHRM called The Talent Fix, you can find it on Amazon.