Welcome back to another great week! Here are five things you should know this week:
1. Virgin America Wants To Turn Boring Plane Flights Into Awesome Networking Sessions: The app connects with your LinkedIn profile. Once you download the app, it will use Virgin America’s inflight Wi-Fi network, Gogo, to allow you to send messages to other people who are on your flight, at your destination, or even people who are on other Virgin America flights at the same time.
2. Why You Should Never Put Your Address On Your Resume: The slow-boiling terror of the commute has been born out by research: behavorial scientists have found that somebody with an hour-long commute needs to make 40% more than somebody who walks to work. Bonus tip: long commuters are more likely to get divorced, too. No wonder recruiters count the commute so hard.
3. Why I Flooded Instagram With Likes: An app developer by trade, Chawla fully expects Instagram to shut down his program, but he created it as a sort of sociological and marketing experiment. The more he explained his thinking behind it, the less he sounded like a prankster and more like a genius.
4. Why the Office is the Worst Place To Work: Despite the fact that many of us spend 40 hours or more a week in offices, it’s likely not the place where you’re most productive.
5. Utah Company Goes for Gold with Office Olympics: The Olympic motto of “Faster, Higher, Stronger” is put to the test at Xima Software in South Jordan, Utah, where the thrill of victory is celebrated with a $1 gold necklace, and the agony of defeat is underscored with Band-Aids.
Have a great week, FOT Nation!
Cara is the Marketing Manager here at Kinetix and resident Renaissance woman. She refers to herself as a writer, but we think that’s limiting. Instead we call her many things: co-strategist, idea machine, brand builder, Kinetixizer, social-media plugger, blogger, and all-around creative specialist. If you wanna schmooze, try talking DIY and fitness, then top it off with a quick kid or pet mention—gets her every time. Tweet her at @caralucas44.