Happy first day of a short week, FOT Nation! That’s no excuse to miss out on these must-reads:
1. When Is the Best Time of Day for a Company to Dump Bad News? Underwhelming earnings reports are often released with little fanfare on Friday afternoons, when no one is thought to be watching—but a new paper questions that logic.
2. Half of Employees Don’t Feel Respected by Their Bosses: Being treated with respect was more important to employees than recognition and appreciation, communicating an inspiring vision, providing useful feedback — even opportunities for learning, growth, and development.
3. Do Companies Make the Most of Their Employer Brands?: Branding goes beyond messaging and includes a company’s products and services as well. The same goes for employer branding. Can Yelp employees rate their jobs on Yelp? Do Glassdoor Employees rate their experiences on Glassdoor? Can you drop your resumé into a Dropbox to apply for their jobs?
4. The physics of productivity: Newton’s laws for getting stuff done: What most people don’t know, however, is that Newton’s three laws of motion can be used as an interesting analogy for increasing your productivity, simplifying your work, and improving your life.
5. 7 tips for writing cold emails to prospective employers: Despite the gray area of a cold email’s effectiveness, it’s still one of the most helpful ways to get the job you want. Like most job advice, the key to the cold email is to own it like you’ve been doing it your whole life.
Have a great Thanksgiving week!
Cara is the Marketing Manager here at Kinetix and resident Renaissance woman. She refers to herself as a writer, but we think that’s limiting. Instead we call her many things: co-strategist, idea machine, brand builder, Kinetixizer, social-media plugger, blogger, and all-around creative specialist. If you wanna schmooze, try talking DIY and fitness, then top it off with a quick kid or pet mention—gets her every time. Tweet her at @caralucas44.